NOTE: For the IEEE/EMBS reimbursement form go HERE
Introducing the Biomedical Engineering Student Team (BEST) Competition!
IEEE EMBS and EWH are sponsoring the first annual medical device design competition in the 2011-2012 academic year. This year’s goal is to design a medical diagnostic device that is portable and low cost and is suitable for low resource settings such as in the developing world. The diagnostic device should address a developing world health issue (for example, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV, etc.) All undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to join! See details below.
First prize $2000
Second prize $1000
Third prize $500
Additionally, there is an opportunity for competition winners to continue with their design ideas and carry them into the prototype stage by going through the Calit2 Multidisciplinary Design Projects (http://www.urop.uci.edu/mdp.html). Through MDP, the teams will be provided with faculty mentors, lab space, and funding for materials to build their prototypes!
Each team MUST have a majority of members be engineering students that are registered members of IEEE-EMBS . (Join IEEE, create an account, and then join EMBS.) IEEE-EMBS will subsidize part of the membership fees. Engineering World Health at UCI will also provide financial assistance for all EWH members officially registered in the competition and with a submitted proposal. It is recommended to have 3-5 people in your team.
The cost per person for IEEE-EMBS membership goes like this:
IEEE membership (half year): $16
EMBS membership (half year): $10
TOTAL = $26/person
However, the Orange County IEEE chapter will reimburse you 100% of the
IEEE membership and the Orange Country EMBS chapter will pay for the
EMBS membership, so now it becomes:
IEEE membership (half year): FREE
EMBS membership (half year): FREE
TOTAL = FREE after 100% reimbursement
The half year membership fee kicks in after March 1 and lasts until Dec 31, 2012, so you actually get 9 months of membership for the 6 month fee. Membership benefits can be found IEEE and EMBS websites.
NOTE: You should have registered IEEE/EMBS memberships by April 20th (the time of the proposal submission). Again, discounted membership rates are available after March 1.
NOTE: All team members that register and submit proposal will be recognized on our website as participating EWH members.
- Go to IEEE
- Select “Student/Graduate Student Membership“
- Click “Begin Join Process”
- Register on the IEEE website with a login and password
- Once logged in to your account, click the “Membership” tab at the top
- Click “Join IEEE” on the right side of the page and add that to the cart ($16)
- Click “Join an IEEE Society” on the right side of the page
- Scroll down to “IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Membership” and add this to the cart ($10)
- Checkout and pay membership fees, which will be reimbursed at a later date
Since it is after 3/1, new members will only be charged a half year fee for 9 months of membership.
- March 10, 2012- Team registration
- April 20, 2012 (Friday 11:59pm) – Proposal Submission
- May 17, 2012 (Thurs 6:30-9pm) – Awards Reception at the EWH Welcome Event at the Student Center, Balboa Island A
DESIGN PROPOSAL SUBMISSION:
Format of Design Proposal:
- Pages: 7 page maximum (references not included in the page limit)
- Contents: Cover Page (with team name, members, and ieee-embs membership IDs), Objective, Background/Significance, Design Specifications, Design Justification, Cost Component Analysis, Business Implementation
- Evaluation Criteria:
- Diagnostic Function-Technical Merit (40%)
- Low Cost (15%)
- Ease of Use and developing world deployment (30%)
- Business Implementation (15%)
Download the complete details of the Evaluation Criteria.
- Format: Margins must be no less than 1″. Font should be Arial. Font size should not be less than 11pts for text. Figure captions, tables, and charts should have font sizes no less than 8pts.
- Only PDF files are accepted